Friday, June 25, 2010

The Beginning

I decided to begin locking my hair on Mother’s Day 2010 I'm a mother and it was sort of a gift to myself. I've loved locs for as long as I can remember and have always considered them for myself it was always more a question of when not if. November 2009 I cut all my relaxed hair and began my natural hair journey. At the time I was installing Genie Locs (yarn braids) as an experiment to see just how locs might look once I decided to go in full force I loved them and never wanted them to come out they looked so beautiful and they were so easy to care for I washed, conditioned and oiled them and ended up keeping them in for about 4 months while giving my hair a chance to grow in after the BC. Genie Locs are a style I would suggest to anyone who is considering locs it gives you a nice preview of what you might look like with locs and its super cheap and easy to install and maintain. Finally in March of 2010 I began experimenting with lace wigs LOVED IT!!! I was and still am amazed at how real those things looked and trust me I've seen my share of wig monstrosities but the two wigs that I had never let me down and I loved them. The thing with going natural is that so many woman are afraid to do the BC and not many understand that you don’t HAVE to do the BC at all you can transition and grow out your hair while clipping away the relaxed ends over time. Also for those of us who do opt to do the Big Chop who says you can’t just have your hair braided, have a sew in weave or rock a wig to get you through that rough short hair stage that so many of us fear ? I did what I felt was best for me also all my styles protected my natural hair allowing it to grow without being damaged my hair was braided and also stayed very well moisturized while I was wearing braids and wigs. Finally it started to get warm I started working-out and the wig business was starting to suck because I was taking off my wig to work out and putting it back on after and the heat was making me hate my wig. Let me say this now I respect any woman who is out there in 100 degree weather still rocking a full lace or lace front wig Girl you are dedicated to the game and I salute you but this sista wasn't beat for the wigs in this heat, now braids I could have done but I was ready to enjoy my natural hair it was May and my hair had grown significantly since November I felt it was time. So there I stood on Mother’s Day standing in the mirror two strand twisting my hair while on the phone with my friends telling them my new hair plans "I think I wanna loc my hair I been saying it forever and there’s no time like now" they were supportive I had run it by my sons father who after the sudden BC was pretty aware that I was going to do whatever I wanted with my hair and I was only asking for opinions he said "its your hair do what you want" That night I twisted my hair and began this beautiful journey it’s been two months now and I and I am still head over heels in love with my locs and can’t imagine my head without them I have found myself all over again and want to share this journey with you all...I started Locstar because I wanted a place to Chronicle my loc journey and also a place to blog about random topics that I find interesting. There’s much more to come so stay tuned up next is my Loc Disaster story which I also posted on YouTube it was a mess yall let me tell you but that’s a whole nother post so till next time...peace.
~Live life like a Locstar~

No comments:

Post a Comment